Freedom of Information
The Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga is a partially included agency under the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
The Freedom of Information Act confirms the right of members of the public to obtain access to official information to the greatest extent possible consistent with the public interest and the right to privacy of individuals.
Under the Act, any person is entitled to apply for access to information not otherwise publicly available. The Act provides:
- A legal right for each person to access information held by public bodies.
- A legal right for each person to access information relating to himself/herself.
- A legal right for each person to have official information relating to himself/herself amended where it is incomplete, incorrect or misleading.
- A legal right to obtain reasons for decisions affecting oneself.
Certain records held by the Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga do not come under the scope of the Freedom of Information Act. These records relate to the principal statutory functions of An Coimisinéir under Section 21 of the Official Languages Act 2003:
- Records relating to investigations, and records relating to audits of public bodies and other compliance measures carried out.
- Any information received in the course of providing advice to members of the public with regard to their rights under the Official Languages Act or in providing advice to public bodies regarding their statutory responsibilities under the Official Languages Act.
Other records held by the Office that come within the scope of the Act include:
- All records relating to personal information.
- All other records created after 21st April 2008.
- All other records necessary for the understanding of a current record.
The Freedom of Information Act 2014 requires public bodies to publish a Publication Scheme within six months of the commencement date of Section 8 of the Act. The Scheme includes such information as:
- The classes of information the Office publishes or intends to publish.
- A general description of all records held by the Office and the terms and conditions whereby information will be made available to the public free of charge.
- A general description of the structure, organisation, functions and powers of the Office and the services it provides, and procedures it follows.
The Publication of Requests Received
Logs of all non-personal requests submitted to the Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga under the Freedom of Information Act will be published here from April 14th 2015 (the date the Act comes into effect). These records will be updated on a regular basis.
If you would like to submit a request under the Freedom of Information Act or if you have any general queries in relation to the operation of the Act in the Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga, please feel free to contact the FOI Officer, Éamonn É Bróithe, and we will be happy to help you.
The Freedom of Information Officer
The Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga
Further information in relation to the Freedom of Information Acts can also be obtained on the website, www.foi.gov.ie, which is maintained by the Freedom of Information Central Policy Unit in the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform.